Thursday, September 8, 2011

Inasal (Grilled Chicken) Sang Gen. Luna


Food, food and more delectable food. When an Ilonggo is asked what’s good in Iloilo City, the delicious but affordable food is oftentimes mentioned. It seems like restaurants and eateries are found just about anywhere.  Yes, Iloilo City and Province may just be a food haven for a lot of people. The wide array of restaurants offers just about any kind of cuisine – from Chinese to Korean to Thai and of course, the all-time favorite, Pinoy food.

In the evenings, food stalls would appear in various streets. One can then smell the heavenly scent of grilled food. These stalls are located near the universities and hospitals. For a measly amount, one can have a full meal.
Just last week when I visited my friend, she had this craving for grilled pecho (chicken breast) from the food stall just outside the gates of St. Paul’s Hospital in Gen. Luna St. It has been a long time since I got anything from there. It was too far then from the place where I stayed. It was about 6:30 in the evening when we went there and while we were approaching the place, the smell of grilled chicken was already wafting in the air. Hmmm.

Our suki is the first stall on the right side of the gate if we face the hospital. We chose a chicken breast, several sticks of chicken liver and gizzard. Another stick of pork liver plus two cups of rice completed our order. While they were grilling our order, my friend and I chatted. I also took pictures. By the way, the stalls also have a selection of other dishes for those who don’t want the grilled ones. There are also tables available for those who would like to eat there. In our case, we brought it to my friend’s place. After about 15 minutes, we were ready to head home. 

How much did we pay? I don’t know the exact amount but I think it was around 150 pesos. We passed by Iloilo Supermart to get a 1.5 liter Coke and we pigged out. I was so full that it took me some time to get up.
Augh! I think I am on a see-food diet – I eat every time I see food.