Monday, September 12, 2011

Rock Box Rocks in Iloilo City


Night out in Iloilo City? It has been a very long time since I had that. Despite not having that much money I agreed when a friend sent me a message if I’m free either Friday or Saturday night. The place we were supposed to be is Smallville, a popular nightspot here in Iloilo City.
About 30 minutes before the appointed time I sent a message asking where exactly are we supposed to meet. Smallville is such a busy place with a lot of bars, restos and the likes. I was told that we will be in Rock Box. Okay, Rock Box. Now, where the heck is it? I mean I heard about it for the first time. When I
asked my friend for any landmark, I found out that we were in the same predicament. She also does not where it is exactly. Then another message came in saying that it’s in Red Square.  Hhmm. I still don’t know where it is. Good thing she sent me another one telling me that they’re already there and they’ll just wait for me in a certain corner. Good. That one, I am more familiar with.

Red Square is a specific area of Smallville Complex where there is a number of restos/bar. There were rows of tables in front of it where those who would like to enjoy the night out in the open. On our way in, I saw people drinking, eating and just chatting the night away.  There was a glass door on the right side with the signage, Rock Box. 

We went in and it was different. I am not exactly sure but I think there were five or six individual boxes (rooms). The lobby though caught my attention. There were youngsters playing some games. A novel concept. While the adults enjoy their time outside Rock Box, the kids can play inside. It is a family place. Actually, it reminded me of Happy Days, a sitcom that I used to watch when I was still very young. I was expecting the Fonz to come out.
The room that we occupied was just before the kitchen. How I knew that I’ll tell you later. It wasn’t so big. It was cozy. Just enough for  5-7 people. There faux electric guitars on the walls and some kind of a drum. I guess one can use it, the drums thingy, while the others belt out the songs. The selections of songs were quite good. Oldies and goodies were available but there were also the more contemporary ones. Another plus for me was that the video didn’t show any women prancing in tiny bikinis. We were offered stuffed toys to cuddle if we want to but of course we demurred. Hey, we’re too old for it. If we had kids with us, we might have considered it. As I said earlier I like the concept very much.

The down side though is the food. Most of the ones that we chose were not available. It also took them a long time to serve it one at a time. I mean, we were supposed to have it for dinner but then they served the rice a bit late. The taste was just so-so. I think they don’t have enough personnel in the kitchen and to act as waiters. There is also a need to improve the sound proofing of the rooms because I can hear the kitchen people chop whatever they were supposed to chop. We can also hear the singing and cheers from the next room. 

I guess, the place is quite new and there are still some areas to improve. It is affordable though. The room that we got was a thousand pesos for 2 hours (consumable) so that’s a plus.  What more, you can bring along your kids.

Will I go there again? Maybe.